October 29, 2014 By Natalie
We are definitely our Mother’s daughters. Last year, my sister posted a picture of the Halloween meal she made for her family. Then I posted a picture of the meal and I made for my family. In comes my other sister with a picture of her meal.
I kid you not. We all made the exact same Zombie meatloaf.
For years, our Halloween meal has been individual meatloaves that I would put a jack-o-lantern face on using cut cheese. They were cute and well-loved, but my kids were getting older and then I saw an image of a zombie meatloaf on Pinterest. It didn’t lead anywhere, so I just had the image to go off of. Apparently, we all saw the same image!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped onions
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. mustard (I use dijon but you can also use spicy brown)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. minched garlic
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 10-12 strips uncooked bacon for garnish
- ketchup for garnish
- onion pieces for garnish.
- Mix all ingredients except ground beef and garnishes in a large bowl. Once it is thoroughly mixed, add ground beef and mix well. Place ground beef mixture onto a foil lined baking sheet and pat firmly into a head shape.
- Cut large pieces of onion for eyes and teeth and press into mixture in correct places. Lay bacon slices around the "head" to resemble cloth strips on a zombie. Then drizzle ketchup for blood.
- Bake at 350 for 75 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160. You may have to drizzle more ketchup for blood after you remove it from the oven.
Here is what it looked like before I cooked it:
Of course, our meal doesn’t stop there! We always have an orange drink in skull glasses (either orange Kool-aid or orange juice) and ghost mashed potatoes! The picture isn’t the best (what Mom isn’t running around last minute on Trick or Treat night??), but it’s just straight mashed potatoes that I put in a baggie to pipe into little ghosts. Then I give him raisin eyes and a mouth!
Looking for some more Halloween inspiration?
Check out the Halloween party we threw last year for lots of sweet treats ideas!
Need some last minute costumes? I am the queen of waiting until the last second!
Check out some of my favorites from years’ past!