Grilled Cheese… Adult-Style

I just inhaled one of my favorite grilled cheese sandwiches, so I thought I’d spread the love and share with y’all  (impressive talk for somebody from PA, huh??).

All you need is fresh California Avocados, fresh mozzarella and a thin layer of pepperoni.  Tomatoes would have been great, but you’ll have to take that up with the hubster who made his sandwich first. grrrr…

The pepperoni gives it a nice subtle little kick, and really, is there anything in this world that isn’t better with avocado??  No. The answer is no.

(and it’s not actually burnt, I just prefer wheat bread so it looks darker)

Editing because I’ve gotten a lot of emails/comments asking for a specific recipe:  It’s really just a grilled cheese!  I’m not sure exactly what to put for the recipe… I spread some butter on a slice of bread and put it butter-side down on a skillet over medium heat.  Next put a fresh slice of mozzarella, then a thin layer of pepperoni, thick slices of avocado to cover the whole sandwich and then another slice of buttered-bread.  When you’re ready to flip it, I put one spatula on the bottom and one on top to hold it together (avocado can be slippery!).  When I have tomatoes, I add those in as well!  There’s really not much too it… just your normal grilled cheese with a couple extra things thrown in!

And because we all have a little bit of a kid left in us… it’s best served on a Goldilocks plate with a side of Mike’s.  Perfection.

A great ending to a chilly day!

We went on a hay ride…

and even had some good old fashioned relay races!  I love living in a small town!

Join Dine & Dish and Cookin’ Canuck for the California Avocado 4th of July Blast, sponsored by the California Avocado Commission.

Linking up to:

Tip JunkieToday’s Creative Blog, Tatertots & Jello504 MainFingerprints on the FridgeSassy Sites,

Natalie

Natalie

Hi, I'm Natalie and I like to move slowly (like a turtle, if you will)! I daydream about minivans, painting walls and eating fudge with a spoon. Welcome to my little computer home where I share my family's adventures as we live life from the slow lane!
Natalie
Natalie
Natalie

Latest posts by Natalie (see all)

Comments

1. Why do I have to be allergic to avocado!?! NOT FAIR!!! Those look amazing. *drool*

2. I have all those ingredients at home. I guess I know what I’ll be having for lunch tomorrow. When I was in Canada I was obsessed with Mike’s Hard Lemonade. Can’t get it in Australia :-(

3. This looks just amazing. I followed your blog when your freezer post was featured on Momtastic. It’s a good thing, because otherwise I wouldn’t have thought of this grilled cheese combination. Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

4. Yum! And I love the Mike’s in the background :). One of my favorites! I can’t wait to try this grilled cheese. This is awesome.

5. Dumb question, but did you put that all together and then grill it, or add some of it after grilling?

6. Mmmm. Pinning it.

7. Oh yummy! Love the plate and adult beverage! Whatever works, right?!

8. Oh YUM! I’m an avocado nut. I love it on everything. It’s so good for you too. This sandwich looks delish! I would be delighted to have you stop by and link this up to my VIP party this weekend! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/10/vip-party-34.html Have a safe and happy halloween!

9. I found you via Pinterest and holy moly — we are having those for dinner tomorrow for sure!

10. Ok i’m new to pinterest, wehre is this recipe at looks so good.

11. Thanks for sharing! I found these on pinterest and we are making them tomorrow. Very cool.

12. I know what I’m fixing for supper tonight! Yum!

13. It looks wonderful. I might substitute Bacon for the pepperoni and give it a try.

14. Wow, I never knew what to do with avocado besides guac… this sounds super yummy. Putting it on my list to try!! I’ll prob opt for a Sam Adams with it tough =)

15. This is a great idea! I’m in college and vounteer by cooking dinner at one of the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge’s once a week. Since I have to go straight from class, and don’t have much “prep” time this is a perfect recipe! Thank you so much for all of your great ideas! You have a true talent!

16. Found you via Pinterest and I am in love. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and avocado is one of my favorite things. I can’t wait to try this!!

17. I have no pepperoni. :( All I have is chorizo. Ahh well. I’ll give that a go instead.

18. I can’t wait to try this Grilled Cheese. It looks SO yummy!! I LOVE the plate :)

19. YUMMY! I just made these. I’m used Asiago Cheese instead of Mozarella. It was so delicious…why I had never thought to put these favorite food items together is beyond me! Thanks for posting…so yummy!

20. Avocado grilled cheese?! YUM.

21. I am a Peace Corps volunteer in Madagascar, I found this on pinterests.com and a fellow volunteer and I have spent a good five minutes staring at the tantalizing picture of your amazing avocado gilled cheese sandwich with our mouths watering like we have not eaten or seen food in a lifetime. I will be going back to states for a xmas holiday trip and will definitely be making this for myself and thinking of your great idea! Thank you, from those far away lands.

22. That sandwich looks amazing!

23. I made a version of your grilled cheese today. Thanks for sharing!

Blogged here: http://blog.shopdirtylaundry.com/posts/2011/12/15/something-new-for-dinner.html

24. I think I will be pinning this!!!

25. Guess you need some more ad’s.

26. I LOOOOOOOVE AVOCADO

27. I found this recipe on pinterest yesterday. Today I´m just about making them! :)

28. Could you please post step by step how you make this delish of a sandwich?

29. Looks amazing. I have to try this.

30. Aside from the avocado all I had was Muenster cheese and turkey bacon. Holy cow I took one bite out of it and nearly died! What a delicious combination! I even made a pinwheel version for my toddler and he gobbled it up! Thank you for sharing :)

31. You made the “Pintrest” hit list :O) Woo hoo!

32. Anonymous says:

I wish all recipes were explained so light heartily.Cookbooks are to professional.They intimidate me.lol

33. I make these but i use honey turkey instead of pepperoni, It is delicious, Ill try pepperoni next time i make them:)

34. Anonymous says:

I love this sandwich but I “healthed” it up a little bit by replacing turkey bacon with the pepporoni. Was outstanding and gave it a little extra crunch!

35. Anonymous says:

made it tonight. Really good!

36. Going to make this tonight! Thanks for posting the recipe/directions!!

37. Anonymous says:

Is that like pizza mozzarella or caprice mozzarella?

38. Anonymous says:

I would have NEVER thought to pair avocado with a grilled cheese – I LOVE avocado. I found this on pinterest, pinned it – and never thought about it again until someone told me they tried it from pinterest and how much they loved it. Honestly, it was AMAZING! I did mine with ham, and pepperoni and used cheddar cheese with homemade bread – and of course, the avocado. HOLY COW.

:) Thanks.

Dayna

39. This is SOOOOOO good <3

40. That is amazing!!!!!! what a great idea I am definitely trying this :) thanks!

41. Anonymous says:

Just made this last night and it was so good! Had tomato for sure, added some applewood smoked bacon which was alright. Overshadowed the avocado a bit! Next time we will do without the bacon. We did add a touch of honey mustard too which was awesome!

42. Anonymous says:

I’m making this tomorrow!!!

43. I found this yummy sounding recipe on Pinterest. I am following your blog so delicious things like this don’t get past me! I can’wait to try this! Patsy

44. this was delicious. great idea for a fancy grilled cheese. can’t go wrong with mozz and avocado. i blogged about it here: http://kcm702.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/weekend-in-food/

45. I tried this today for lunch. Holy smokes!!!! I would walk through fire and broken glass mixed to get to this sandwich. I removed the pepperoni and added sun-dried tomatoes in its place. Pair that with a bowl of tomato basil soup and it makes for a lunch that I can’t get enough of. Thank you for publishing this recipe.

46. This looks amazing! Trying it for lunch today:) Thank you !!

47. Anonymous says:

Thank you for the idea. Here is my yummy variation; fresh moz that was seasoned with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, bacon, avocado, spinach, and a slice of provolone.

48. Lisa Sczesny says:

Tried this with tomato instead of pepperoni, added salt and pepper after adding the tomato and an extra slice of Havarti cheese. So good! Have made it several times in the last couple of weeks since seeing it here on Pinterest. Thanks so much for sharing.

49. Anonymous says:

Will substitute bacon for pepperoni, and not turkey bacon. Can’t wait!

50. Anonymous says:

We are having these for dinner tonight! Thank you for the great idea!

51. @AnonymousHi Anon! I like your BF’s response! Up in the post, I did explain that there isn’t really a specific recipe in terms of measurements since it’s just a grilled cheese, but I did explain in a little more detail how I make it. Hopefully that helps! Enjoy!

52. Anonymous says:

Is there a recipe for this? My BF said OMG!!! LOL Thanks for sharing and hoping You will provide recipe ;)

53. Katie Ferreri says:

Hi! Found this on Pintrest and my boyfriend was so excited he came home today from work with the ingredients! It was very yummy!

54. Anonymous says:

We have had this posted from Pinterest for the longest time and never made it but tonight is the night! Except I never read the ingredients and we bought swiss cheese and bacon! Oh well! My variation sounds yummy too!

55. I will def make this with sundried tomatoes as I’m vegetarian! Mmm I’m thinking grilled mushrooms might be amazing too with the avocado. Thanks for the beautiful picture too.

56. Try with grilled Zucchini :) Hopefully you aren’t allergic to that! @Natalie

57. Hallie Ann says:

Heaven! I made as directed, and it was perfect. I happened to be very tired today, and happened to only need to make dinner for myself. This was quick and just the right amount for me, without tons of leftovers. Thank you for sharing this new favorite!

58. This looks absolutely delish!!! I am your new follower.

59. Anonymous says:

omgomgomgomg this looks like, so gewd hehehehe loll! :D :D

60. I think the way you photographed this sandwich up close makes it so eye appealing and mouth watering! Good job!

61. Many might think that indulging in grilled cheese sandwiches will take a toll in our health but that is not always the case. The avocado adds flavor and nutritional value to this meal which both kids and adults will surely enjoy! The photos that have shared are indeed mouth-watering, thanks!

62. Oh my goodness. I saw the this on Pinterest, got off my butt, ran into the kitchen, made it, ate it, and now I’m back to say THANK YOU!!! Something so simple…why didn’t I think of that? My favorite ingredients melting together. I devoured it.

63. Anonymous says:

I’m going to make this tonight I could taste it now. Great Idea Love It. Thanks.

64. Yummm! Must have this!

Oh, and yes, there is; it’s called BACON.

65. That is AMAZING! I love avocado and I look for every chance I can to include it in whatever I eat. I am definitely going to try this out with some tomatoes thrown in.

66. This is what happened when I attempted to make this sandwich lol: http://womeneverywhere.wordpress.com/2012/08/22/recipe-review-sort-of/

67. good! avocado and mozzarella delicious combination!

68. Sounds delish and I love the Rodgers jersey!! Go Pack go!!

69. OMG, I just made this, didn’t have pepperoni so I added turkey bacon……..yummy..thanks for posting this!!

70. My niece and I just made these for dinner on sourdough. SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing!

71. Literally just made this for lunch a couple minutes ago, currently enjoying it. I am an avocoado fanatic and this was an obvious great choice for me! Thanks for posting it, its delicious. Its great with a bowl of creamy tomato soup :)

72. looks delish & can’t wait to try it! love that your son has such great taste in a football player/team too! Go Pack Go!

73. I found this recipe on Pinterest and tried it with my mom and sister tonight. It was so good! Even though it isn’t that much of a stretch from a regular grilled cheese, adding those extra things made such a difference – especially the pepperoni, I’m usually not in love with the stuff but it was just perfect on this! Thanks!

74. What an easy lunch! I bet you could add jalapenos for a bigger kick. I think my hubby would enjoy that.

75. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as
    I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My blog
    site is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my
    users would really benefit from some of
    the information you present here. Please let me know if this alright with
    you. Thanks!

Trackbacks

1. [...] aturtleslifeforme.com via Walkingmama on [...]

2. [...] like it. The recipe I combined it with, is found at A Turtle’s Life for Me and is for her Grilled Cheese… Adult Style. We didn’t take anything away from the original recipe, all we did was add a couple of slices [...]

3. [...] are a few of my favorite combinations: 1) Caramelized Onions & Kale 2) Avocado, Pepperoni, & Tomato 3) Grilled Cheese Rolls 4) Spinach Artichoke [...]

4. [...] But, I was feeling like taking a risk so I turned to Pinterest to find some gourmet grilled cheeses. I found love at first sight when I found this baby with avocado! [...]