About a month ago, I needed a pound cake for a dessert I wanted to try. So like any normal person would do when they wanted one fresh pound cake, I went to Costco and bought a 3-pack.
They’re just so large, so fresh and it’s only like $1 more for this 3-pack than it is to buy 1 frozen one at the grocery store. Kind of a no-brainer.
So I made my dessert with the one I needed and was left with 2 more pound cakes and no more plans.
I had it in my head that I wanted to try grilling some pound cake slices. I was thinking a grilled slice of pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream. I still may try it some day, but I didn’t get to try it last month because it started snowing and got stupid cold, and I just didn’t feel like standing outside at the grill.
So the pound cakes sat for a couple days until then I started worrying that they would get stale. What do I do with bread that’s close to going stale?? I make French toast!
So pound cake french toast it was! And you know what else it was… AMAZING!!
The kids started wandering down from upstairs to see what the smell was. Later I found out that my daughter texted my husband at work that he should come home quickly to try it!
It was seriously, ridiculously good. I’m pretty sure we will only ever buy Costco 3-packs of pound cake from now on so that we can always make this with one of the loaves.
You could easily garnish with whipped cream and some sliced strawberries. We just used a sprinkling of powdered sugar and strawberries and it was the perfect extra touch.
I know you normally think of French toast as a breakfast food, but this was so rich that it really is more of a dessert.
- 1 loaf pound cake, cut into 8 slices
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, extracts and cinnamon until well combined.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Using a fork, dip each slice of pound cake into the egg mixture making sure that boat sides are evenly coated. Do not let it sit in egg mixture or will break into pieces.
- Transfer to skillet and cook until golden brown0 about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh strawberries!