This Moose Crunch Caramel Popcorn recipe is so easy to make and disappears quickly!
Earlier this week, my sister dropped off a giant trash bag full of popcorn. Seriously.
It was an absurd amount of popcorn that she had leftover from a baby shower she co-hosted, and she rang the doorbell and darted. My daughter opened the door to see the popcorn sitting there while my sister waved as she peeled down the street!
Most likely laughing maniacally and wondering what we were going to do with the most popcorn we had ever seen in our life!
Well, I thought I would pull one over on her and end up with this decadent, delicious moose crunch caramel popcorn. Yanno, to make her all jealous and everything.
Well, we did end up with some delicious popcorn, but even after using 26 cups for this recipe, it still was only about 5% of how much popcorn we actually had!
Honestly, who knew 26 cups of popcorn would look like so little??
I put all my popcorn in the lid to a cake carrier case. Side note: I use this cake carrier as an over-sized bowl all the time! You could mix it in a large stockpot or something similar, but I find that this cake carrier lid cleans up much easier!
Especially when you’re dealing with something like sticky, gooey caramel!
The caramel sauce is made up for 2 of my favorite ingredients for any dessert ever- butter and brown sugar! Add a little corn syrup and a pinch of salt, and let it blend all together.
My pictures are a little out of order there, but that’s how my mind works, sooo…
Once you have your caramel all mixed up with your popcorn, you’re going to want to start devouring it.
For one thing, caramel sauce that has been boiling for 5 minutes is HOT! Ask me how I know!! 😉
Just pour it out on some cookie sheets that you lined with waxed paper and let it cool a bit. Then you can melt your chocolate and drizzle it all over that gooey popcorn.
Now let it all set so the caramel cools and the chocolate hardens.
Then you can just break it into chunks and enjoy!
- 26 cups popcorn (roughly)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Line 2 large cookie sheets with waxed paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Melt over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Bring to a full boil and let boil for 5 minutes. You do not need to stir this entire time.
- Pour over popcorn and stir to coat well.
- Spread over 2 cookie sheets.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 40 seconds. Stir and then continue to heat 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each time until completely melted.
- Using a spoon, drizzle over the chocolate over the popcorn.
- Let cool completely and then break into chunks.
And since we still have a bajillion cups of popcorn left… and I’m not even sure if I’m exaggerating with that measurement… my daughter is going to be making her favorite peanut butter popcorn.
This recipe for peanut butter popcorn is even easier than the Moose Crunch caramel popcorn recipe!
And don’t forget to pin this Moose Crunch Caramel Popcorn Recipe! Not only is it great for tailgating and snacking, it also makes a great edible gift! Package some up and send some along to teachers, friends or neighbors!