Let me introduce you to my son. He is a beanpole and an expensive date.
The kid eats like nobody’s business. He’s always been a HUGE eater! When he was younger and we were in little Mommy playgroups, I’d listen to all the other moms fret because their kids would only eat chicken nuggets or wouldn’t eat veggies and I honestly couldn’t relate. This kid was 18 months and would eat 4 tacos, loaded with onions and salsa and any other fixing he could get his hands on. He’s always eaten veggies (I’m still trying to win him over to brussel sprouts, though), and fruit and has basically been out-eating me consistently since he was about 4. He’ll try anything and usually loves it.
You will never hear me complain about his tastes in food.
Just the pricetag that comes with it. He’s 11 years old and I get what people say about teenagers eating them out of house and home. We’ve been there for years already, people. The kid has expensive tastes!
Especially at restaurants. I try not to hold him back too much, because I’m thrilled that he doesn’t always go for cheeseburgers or macaroni & cheese (ahem, little 9 year-old girl!!), but king crab legs and lobster alfredo just don’t always fit our budget. His latest obsession is salmon. He ordered some grilled salmon when we were out a month or so ago and now he can’t get enough. It was one of those things where the waiter came, he blurted out the name of the salmon entree and my husband and I just looked at each other and the $26 pricetag. Ugh, I want him to eat healthy and loved his choice, but I quickly settled for a side salad to balance out his expensive little tastes.
So we came to a little agreement after that about ordering out and I decided to indulge him and try to re-create his favorite meal at home. He LOVES this and declared it better than the restaurants! And the little girl scarfed it down too (without any pasta as a side dish!)! Miracle of all miracles… it is possible to eat a meal without pasta!!
Grilled BBQ Salmon with Avocado & Corn Salsa
- Corn Salsa Ingredients:
- 1 can corn or 2 ears (grilled corn, cut from the cob)
- 1 – 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeds removed and chopped)
- 1/4 cup (chopped red onion)
- 1 avocado (removed from its skin and cubed)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salmon Dry Rub:
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 – 6-ounce salmon fillets
- Gently mix the salsa ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Coat a grill (or grill pan) with non-stick spray and preheat to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, paprika, kosher salt and pepper together.
- Rub 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over each piece of salmon followed by 1 tablespoon of rub.
- Grill the salmon for 5-6 minutes. Carefully flip the salmon and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until the fish is cooked through and flakes easily.
- Top each piece of salmon with the salsa and enjoy!
I use the Nordic War Grill/Steam Baker for my salmon. I’ve tried a number of other ones, but I love how easy this is to flip and how versatile it is! We use this for all kinds of veggies too and everything turns out delicious!
This recipe would be great on tilapia or chicken too! You can’t go wrong… just ask my son!
Linking up to: