Confession time: I actually finished this desk about a month ago, but haven’t shown you guys yet because I had this insane thought that I might be able to “stage” it and take these awesome pictures. I’ve come to the grips with the fact, that that will never happen and you’re just going to have to see the desk as is. As we live. Remember my messy daughter?? You’re going to see it as she lives, actually.
I picked this desk up at our neighborhood yardsale at the end of June. It was sitting on somebody’s driveway with a big FREE sign. I passed by it a couple times, not wanting to deal with my husband’s reaction if I told him I wanted another piece of furniture. I mean, he might have actually rolled his eyes and I just couldn’t bear that! But by the end of the 2nd day of the sale, it was still sitting there and he seemed pretty agreeable, so I got my desk!
It was in pretty bad shape and MUCH deeper than I realized. This is the time when you just smile at your husband and say thank you, and NEVER let on that you’re having second doubts!
The handles were all chippy
The drawers were lined with 60 year old newspapers
and the top was covered in a “wood” contact paper that took a lot of sanding and Goo Be Gone to get rid of the stickiness!
It took me a long time to decide what colors to paint it. A long time as in, it finally got 2 coats of white, a coat of red, 2 coats of blue and then 3 coats of white. And just so you can appreciate how
lazy neurotic I am… when I take the time to get out all the painting junk, I go all out. I paint it all. If it’s in the garage, it’s a prime candidate for my brush.
(see that frame at the very bottom?? That’s what I used for my button monogram at the baby shower! I didn’t know what I was painting it for at the time, but painted pieces are always good to have on hand!)
When I was done painting the desk, I used my Cricut to cut a stencil from contact paper.
I covered the area around it with newspaper to avoid overspray.
While it was all drying, I spray painted all the drawer pulls with Krylon’s Oil Rubbed Bronze. It made such a difference! Then I tried my hand at distressing for the first time. This is VERY stressful for me and I wasn’t very good at it, but I’ll get to that in a minute!
I absolutely love how the blue came out from the undercoats!
This is the distressing part that had me baffled. I was using a palm sander, and I feel like you can see the circular sanding patterns. Not thrilled with that.
And wishing I would have left the bird alone, because this sanding did not go well at all!
My daughter did all the “staging” (and, yes, I’m quite aware I still haven’t gotten a new lampshade for that MJ lamp!).
And one last before and after of my FREE desk!
Linking up to:
DIY by Design, Blue Cricket Design, 733 Blog, Carolyn’s Homework, Thrifty Decorating, Hookin’ up with the Hepworth’s, Momnivore’s Dilemma, Beyond the Picket Fence, Gluesticks, Katie’s Nesting Spot, Miss Mustard Seed, The Shabby Nest, At the Picket Fence, 504 Main, Tatertots & Jello, Tip Junkie, Today’s Creative Blog, Sassy Sites, Sweet Little Gals,